Lindsay House, Cathcart.
Lindsay House, Cathcart. Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Lindsay house was designed by John Baird and built for David Lindsay in 1863. David Lindsay (1817-1902) owned the nearby mill, popularly known as the Snuff Mill. The chief products of the mill were paper and cardboard used in bookbinding. The mill closed after Lindsay’s death.
Four rooms in this property were home to Alexander Sweet (1843 – 1921), his wife and eight children. Probably from 1870 to 1883. Valuation rolls show that in 1875 Alexander is renting a flat in Lindsay House, Old Cathcart. and again in 1885 he is renting from David and Margaret Lindsay per David Lindsay papermaker, Cathcart Mill for £17 per annum.
Braehead House, Cathcart
Home to Alexander Sweet (1843 – 1921), his wife and eight children. Probably from 1883 to 1920. From the 1905 valuation roll, Alexander is renting Braehead from Edward Gibbon, joiner, Holmhead, Rutherglen at an annual rent of £40
Alexander Sweet (1843 – 1921). Photograph by Charles Sweet (1864 – 1945), Rothesay.
Alexander joined the Accountant’s department of the Union Bank of Scotland and retired in 1920. At this time he moved to Craigshields, Skelmorlie, Ayrshire.
Mary (30), Jean (18) and Catherine (22) Sweet 1901, Braehead garden
Archie (27), Wallace Graham (25) and Willie (15) in Braehead Gardens 1901
Sweet family leaving Finnartmore for a wedding. Archie’s 1947?
WG Sweet (1876-1953) and Jean (Brown) (1878-1952) circa 1947?
WG Sweet and Jean Brown with children: Alastair, Wallace, Jean and Barbara, the baby will be Archie so about 1915.
WG Sweet, Ian Fraser, Unknown and Jean Brown
Alastair, Jean. Archie, Barbara, Wallace and Allison Sweet.
Wallace Sweet and Unknown
Alastair and Archie.
Wallace Jnr, Wallace Sir, Jean Sir, Barbara, Alastair, Alison, Archie and Jean Sweet.
Old Cathcart Church
Old Cathcart Church
Rev Wallace Graham Sweet
Barbara Dunn Wright
Archibald Macintyre Sweet
Headstone for Annie Sweet and her husband, John Crawford.
Headstone for Annie Sweet
Married to John Crawford, Annie Sweet (1841 – 1911) died after falling into Braidbar Quarry. She fractured her spine but was not found for three days.